Thursday, April 27, 2006

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Knitting

Yup. I still don't have a header and I'm not really sure what I did to nix that. I'll fix it later. I'm only on chapter two of this book, but I keep doing a chapter a day, and maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to do a bit more with it.

Anyway, onto the knitting.

I met an amazing woman today a The Point. Her name was Iris Schreier and she was doing a workshop on Modular knitting (I'm learning that there are a trillion different names given to this technique. She has some sort of involvement with ArtYarns and told me the most amazing thing I heard today. She said that Artyarns UltraMerino 4 can actually be machine washed, but that it shouldn't be dried! Folks! Do you know what this means?! It means I can actually wash the Embossed Leaves Socks I made! I just knew I wasn't going to wash them by hand...what was I thinking?

I've made a bit more progress on the Jaywalkers. Here are some photos for you:


Here's the detail of the heel. I really like whatever stitch it is that was used for the heel. Every other stitch is slipped on the knit row, and I think the heels will last for a while. Those are the only parts of any of my socks that tend to wear out, so I think reinforcing that part is good. And the Lorna's Laces has a hint of nylon in it, so that'll help the wearability as well.


This is what the Mountain Colors are doing on the leg. I like it a lot more than what the Mountain Colors are doing on the instep and the bottom of the foot, but I guess it doesn't matter as much since no one's really going to be paying that much attention to that area.

While these socks reinforce my desire for a pair of clogs, I couldn't help but notice that they made the transition from teal pants to grass green chuck taylors much easier on the eye than the white socks I was wearing today. They also seem to be knitting up so that they'll fit perfectly, which is something I was worried about.

I've been bad yet again. I bought more knitting books. I'm never going to knit all the patterns I want to knit from these books. I just keep finding more and more and more patterns. It took me almost a year to knit anything at all out of Loop-D-Loop!
So the new books I got are Knitting Nature by Norah Gaughan and Greetings from Knit Cafe. I got Greetings not only because the fabulous Nichole is gracing the cover and several of the pages inside, but because I noticed that there were quite a few patterns in there that I would actually be interested in knitting, and a bunch of them looked pretty simple too! I got Knitting Nature because I liked a lot of the patterns in the book, but I also thought that I would be quite inspired by it. I find I'm always drawn to nature and I really like to be inspired by it so it helps to have things that can bring me down to earth (so to speak) while I'm living in the city. I can't get the image of the cowl sweater with the spiral out of my head, and there was a nifty hexagon scarf that curled itself up into a spiral in there too. There were also some interesting guy sweaters in there, that were I to find someone worth all that cabling and tiny needles (no seriously dudes, size 3 needles for a whole sweater!? I'd lose my mind!) I might think about making one of those sweaters for them (note the word choice here. There's no way in hell I'm making either of those sweaters, but I could. And I can definitely think about it. I don't think even I'm deserving of those sweaters). We all need those inspirational books don't we?

So because Gauging Reactions is actually posting again and because she posted a pretty good meme, I think I'll do it. True to my comment on her blog, several of these are merely different subways or modes of transportation. I hope to add the beach to this list this year. I'm hopeful of actually going to the beach this year. And yes, I'm still a beach snob and am terrified by New York beaches.

Where I've Knit
  • Washington Square Park

  • The R

  • The D

  • The N

  • Metro North

  • Chicago's O'Hare Airport

  • Seattle's Airport

  • Bellevue, WA

  • In a few airplanes

  • Rochester, NY

  • I95 from NYC to Providence

  • Brewed Awakenings in Wakefield, RI

  • The Point

  • Washington DC Metro

  • 5 comments:

    MUDNYC said...

    I'm heading to FL this weekend and I think I'm about to use that sock yarn you and I bought in Rhinebeck for my first socks, since the Clapotis will be done. You're my sock inspiration, Jenn!

    Beta said...

    Yay for DC knitting! I think putting together a list like this would make me all anxious cuz I know I'd be leaving stuff off. I mean, I started at URI, but it was all a blur. Knitting on the train is the best.
    Nice sock! I'm just about to turn the heel on sock #2 of my first pair. But I bought a TON of Regia yarn the other day so I can keep rolling w/ the socks.

    Passionknitly said...

    MUD! Glad I could be of inspiration. You've definitely inspired me to do things of my own. (he he he) Oh, and I still have sock yarn from Rhinebeck...

    haven't you been knitting that sock for AGES Beta? Knitting in DC was much less stressful than knitting in NY. Actually, most things were less stressful in DC. Maybe it was because I was on vacation...

    Anonymous said...

    hey, good to meet you yesterday! i've been curious about the knit cafe book - know of anywhere online where there are pattern previews? i might mosey over to my friendly b&n later today to see whether they have it yet.

    Rebecca said...

    Iris Schreier is the genuis behind Art Yarns, though she'd never tell you. She designs all of the yarn(Is that the right word? Like, she dyes them and "creates" them.) and patterns that Art Yarns produces. She's lovely.