Friday, May 04, 2007

I Should Never Have Jinxed Myself

Wedgewood Blouse Sleeve


You'll note, of course, the orange waste yarn keeping the underarm stitches live (thank you blogless Suzi!). You'll also notice that the pattern says to BIND OFF 14 stitches. Yeah. If there's a way to f*** up a pattern, I'll find it. It's not a big deal though, I'll just bind off with new yarn and then sew the underarm seams. Other than that it's going well.

Wedgewood Blouse before yoke

This was taken earlier this week once I had connected the sleeves and started in on the yoke. I've never done a sweater for myself, and so I've never done a yoke, but I like the way it makes it look rather seamless. I just started in on the pattern of the project which is interestingly constructed and a pleasant interruption from reverse stockinette!

On a different note, for Christmas about three years (one of my first projects!), I was planning on knitting a pair of argyle slippers for my mother from Weekend Knitting. A knitting store in North Kingston, RI told me I couldn't knit them, that they were too advanced for me since they had all those colors to them, and wouldn't I like to try something more one color and easier? No, damn you. I didn't ask if I could knit them, I asked you to help me find yarn. (Sorry for that tangent. I just strongly believe that what you *can* knit is highly dependent on how badly you want to knit it.) I showed her though! They were knit completely! However, there's a TON of finishing, and I just decided that there was no way in hell I'd be doing that.

slippers for mom To "replace" this missed gift, I'm going to attempt to knit the MUCH simpler slippers from Berroco pictured on the right. It's a free pattern. They're going to be knit out of a nice grey Berroco Suede (the recommended yarn).

I got a pair of really cute buttons to fasten them with on the side. These are probably also going to be late for Mother's Day, but I think I get points for thinking of her for more than just one day. Also, maybe it will get the rest of my family off my back regarding those embarrassing non gifted slippers.

In other news, I received the latest copy of IK (Summer 07). I'm somewhat confused why the summer issue has wool wintery hats in it. In general I found a lot of the patterns to be quite not summery, though there were a few things I'd love to make (like that one shoulder number with the scarf by Kate Gilbert!) Also, in my wanderings this week, I found a couple of interesting KALs I think I'll join - both for IK publications.


That last one is ESPECIALLY handy and will more than likely be making an appearance in the sidebar!

6 comments:

Beta said...

Nice choice on the slippers. And hey, didn't you knit that purple long-sleeved sweater for yourself?


You're welcome. for the gift of apartmenttherapy I mean.

Passionknitly said...

The purple long sleeved sweater hasn't been finished. at this point, I'm not sure if i want to finish it. It looks horrible on me. maybe I'll crochet a neckline and give it to good will.

Claudine said...

Bring the slippers to The Point tomorrow and I will have a go at them. Maybe we need to just f**k the directions and make them work another way.

Don't forget about the round about tank you made!

AJ said...

*sigh* Yes, I tried driving the race cars, but it wasn't happening. The steering is NOTHING like that of a real car, LOL. I kept bumping into things and reversing into the couch!

Passionknitly said...

claudine...i think at this point it's more like i REALLY don't want to put them together. I'd have to undo part of it...and i'm just not in the mood. now, or ever. :)

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

Whoa, if some LYS had the gall to tell me that I should go and find a simpler pattern to do... GRRRRR!!
Don't worry about the slippers. Take them to The Point and capital F the directions and make your own! ;)
Bunny hugs,
=:8