Monday, March 27, 2006

It's Not Easy Being Green

Indeed, it's not. I have my first finished green project. I present Morehouse Merino's Birdwatcher's Beret:


It's made with Morehouse Merino's (coincidence?) Fetherlight. Problem? It's a bit big. Perhaps I didn't check my gauge or something. I hope it will fit someone else that I hope will wear it. I have a few ideas as to who to give it to. Looks like I'll have to get a new kit or something. I just plain don't like taking apart FOs. When they're done, they're done. If it doesn't fit me, then it was obviously made for someone else right?

I LOVED working with this yarn. It didn't split. It loved my plastic needles - though I get the impression that knitting Morehouse on anything less than bamboo or wood is a sin - it just feels to natural to let plastic touch. I liked that there was hay in with the yarn. I think some people might be turned off by that, but I just thought it was uber cool. I can't wait to get the cash and start that amazing sweater from Weekend Knitting. It will be the best sweater ever (and it's knit in the round so I won't have to do awful seaming!).

In other green news I haven't even touched the embossed leaves socks since I sat for Kara's portrait. I'm going to need the needles for a pair of jaywalkers that I decided to cast on with some Mountain Colors yarn I bought at Flying Fingers when Katy and Blogless Ruth (or maybe Jewell?> and I went on the yarn bus.

That's the Mountain colors on the top. I've always thought they'd make great Jaywalkers. I just have to print the pattern (heh for work having printers I use for personal use!).

The only non-green thing I'm actively working on (no, the Olympic Sweater is still not done - it's still kinda reminding me of being sick) is the orange bib for one of my co-workers' newborn. She was due on Saturday and the kid hasn't been born yet, so perhaps it's just waiting for the bib. Here's what I've got so far:

Please excuse the blue right next to the orange. I don't think the Denise set had Debbie Bliss Cotton Cashmere yarn in bright orange on their list of things of things to knit with. Anyway, it's working up quite quickly. If I get on it, I might be able to finish it by the end of the night or tomorrow during lunch. The only bitch is going to be weaving in all those damn ends. each petal was started and ended on it's own. I eliminated one end by careful planning and forsight, but still...there's another eight ends to weave in after it's done.

Oh, and my spring issue of IK finally arrived. I'd been waiting for it for at least a month. It seems like they've completely messed up my subscription. I've been holding out, waiting for it to arrive in my mailbox before i pilfered it's pages for knowledge and inspiration. Now that it's here, well, it's kinda anticlimatic. I feel like ignoring it out of spite. Damn you IK for not arriving early like everyone else's! Damn you for arriving to me months after the issue hit stores! Sigh. I can't ignore you forever...I must have the fiber knowledge that lies within your bounds...

Anyone remember that song by K's Choice from eons ago?
It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)


How is it that yarn can be so easily compared to heroin and crack?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Subscriptions can be a pain. I didn't get one to Interweave b/c my mail lady absolutely mangles every magazine she delivers. My m-in-law got me a subscription to Modern Bride, and every issue came looking like it had been shredded by an angry, angry cat.
I love that yarn for the bib! It is going to be so cute!

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you have a friend with a lot of curly hair that needs to be covered with a green beret?

Melissa said...

cute beret! i'm sure you'll make some lucky person very happy, if you decide to give it away.

now that song is stuck in my head! hey, an addiction is an addiction - whether it be KSH or crack!