Thursday, October 20, 2005

Organized History Afghan of Over the Knee Socks

Oh where to start...

I organized my yarn stash. I took everything out. There is honestly, a whole skein, at least, of every yarn I've ever used in there. For some, there's more than one. For the Karabella Aurora Bulky I used to make my newsboy hat the first time, there's two skeins. A skein and a half is left of the Reynold's Odyssey I used for the Clapotis which really is too bad because I would have made mine bigger had I known I was going to end up with all that extra yarn. A whole Skein of Blizzard is left from the scarf I made for Greg's mom. etc, etc.....

I decided that with all of these leftover yarns that I'm going to make a History of knitting afghan. It'll pretty much never be finished, but that will be a good thing because I don't really ever want to be "finished" knitting (even if I lose my arms, I'd still find a way with my toes I think...). Each square will feature the pattern that the yarn was bought for. For example, the first yarn I ever bought (it was part of a kit) will be featured in the afghan as being a garter stitch square, while the square from the newsboy hat yarn will have a cable running down the middle of it, with two purl stitches and a boarder of stockinette. It will not only represent all the yarn I have used, but also all of the projects I have done until now. And maybe it will be warm too! I think I'll call it a smorgasborg history afghan! How catchy!

I got a bit confused on the Over the Knee Sock pattern. I started getting to the lace pattern by now. I've never done lace, so I'm just kind of waiting it out. I think I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not sure if that "something" is with my knitting, or not having enough faith in the pattern. I went to B&N today, and checked out what Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book had to say about Yarn Overs. It looks like as long as I purl the row after the last YO before the hole, I should be OK. The pattern does say that I should purl on the wrong side and knit on the right side (which is weird because they say to work it in the round, so wouldn't they just say purl that stitch all the time?), which is why I think my problem was more with my trust in the pattern than anything else.

I'm really in love with the Aurora 4 I'm using for these socks. It feels so luxurious, so sexy. I have a feeling that I will take New York by storm in these socks and that they will allow me to do great things. I may, perhaps, be placing just a bit *too much* faith in the pattern at this point, but we shall see. :) We shall see....

1 comment:

Katy said...

I think your History of Knitting afghan is a great idea. I can't wait to see some progress on that.
(Hee, my "magic word" looks like someone had the hiccups while trying to type hiccups.)